Who can volunteer at BestPals Animal Rescue Center?
- Adults who have completed a volunteer training course and have a current liability waiver on file.
- Teens 16-18 who have completed a volunteer training course and have a current liability waiver on file. The teen’s parent/guardian must attend during ALL training until complete.
- Teens age 13-15 who have completed a volunteer training course, have a current liability waiver on file, and have a trained adult volunteering with them. The teen’s parent/guardian must attend during ALL training until complete, after which the teen may volunteer with other responsible adults.
At this time, we will not be conducting training or volunteer time for children under 13.
What training is needed to volunteer?
1. General safety around pets who are unfamiliar with you
2. Cleaning and sanitation procedures for animal care areas
3. Policies specific to BestPals including logging your volunteer time, where to park, tour of facilities, etc.
4. Emergency and Incident procedures
Where and When can we volunteer?
We use a sign up app called SignUpGenius for volunteer times, both recurring and special events. Most volunteering takes place at our BestPals facility, but we do on-site adoption events and fundraisers through the year.
Why is the training necessary? Why no kids?
Many of our pets come from stressful situations and may act out - it’s necessary to know how to accommodate their needs. Some pets are on medical hold, are taking medications, or have allergies that need to be handled with special food or treatments. Adults and older teens are better equipped to learn, remember, and problem solve these scenarios.